Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Roseville Album

Roseville Album by Kim McLean
In the last few weeks I have been more and more drawn to Kim McLean's designs, and her pattern Roseville Album is no exception.  Why?  Because it not only uses the beautiful Kaffe Fassett fabrics creatively but it is also a challenging design.  I need a challenge.  I need a change.  I have become very bored with working with the vintage-looking fabrics that I am using for my Vintage Valentine quilt.  Don't get me wrong . . . I enjoy using these fabrics and can't think of any kind of fabric that would better suit my Vintage Valentine quilt.  I am just at a point where I feel I need a  break from it.  So, a couple of days ago I ordered Kim's Roseville Album quilt for the reasons stated above and one other reason.

One week from today I am undergoing a surgery that usually happens to people in their late 70s or early 80s.  I am in my 50s and had my first total hip replacement when I turned 50 which was 4 years ago.  I am now having my right hip replaced ~ ugh!  I know it will be worth it in the end not having to deal with the daily pain but the recuperation process is about 12 weeks.  Having said that, I need a hand project that uses bright, cheery colors to brighten my days following surgery.
Kaffe Fassett Reds
Kaffe Fassett Best Sellers
Of course after purchasing a new pattern, I have yet another excuse to go fabric shopping : )  Since my hip keeps me rather grounded, I could not go to my local quilt shop so did some fabric shopping on the Internet.  I am just loving looking at all of the beautiful Kaffe fabrics and so far have chosen these FQ packs.
Kaffe Fassett Blues
Then I had to choose a background fabric, which wasn't easy.  The pattern calls for 9-1/2 yards of background fabric ~ yikes!  Every time I would find a fabric I liked, there wasn't enough of it left on the bolt.  So I searched . . . and searched . . . and searched.  Luck was on my side when I found the original fabric Kim used in her quilt ~ Kaffe Spots in Sprout ~ and you'll never guess where! 
Kaffe Fassett Spots ~ Sprout
At Jimmy Beans Wool of all places!  This is my 'go-to' place for all of my knitting supplies, and I had no idea that they also carry fabric ~ mainly Kaffe Fassett.  Jimmy Beans Wool is located in Reno, NV, and they have the best customer service ever.  I usually get my order a day or two after placing it.

I am hoping that this holds true this time for sure because I want to get some blocks prepped so they will be waiting for me after my surgery.

While I'm not too excited about my upcoming surgery, I am very excited about beginning this new project and will share my progress with you along the way.

1 comment:

  1. This quilt is so beautiful! I look forward to following your progress on it, and your progress with your hip too. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete