Saturday, May 19, 2012

Oh, No! I can't sew!

On May 7th, I had yet another surgery . . . this time on my neck (cervical spine). I am blessed to have had another successful surgery, and the arm/shoulder pain I was experiencing is gone.

Now, here is the reason I can't sew:  


It kind of looks like a holder for an iron, right?  Well, I wish that was the case but it's not.  This is the contraption that I have to wear for another 4 weeks ~ ugh!!  Here's what it looks like around my neck:


I have to say that it rates right up there with the most unpleasant things I have had to go through.  At first I thought that I may be able to do some hand piecing or hand applique . . . but I soon found out that this thinking was wrong.  That square-like thing at the bottom stops me from tilting my neck down.  So, now all I can do is sew vicariously though my friends and watching them progress on various projects.  I am also browsing through magazines and Internet sites, looking at all the beautiful quilts, fabrics and gadgets.  I also have a lot of time on my hands to do some online shopping and believe me, I have already made quite a dent in the pocket book.  So, you see, I really need to find something, anything to keep my hands busy.

So, this is the story of why I can't sew.  I've worn this hard-collar neck brace for 2 weeks and have 4 more weeks to go.  I'm "X"-ing off the days and looking forward to the day that I can get this contraption off for good and get back to my sewing projects again.

Stay tuned . . . there will be quilty things pictured again . . . I promise!

Debbie

2 comments:

  1. Looks very sturdy. What a nuisance, but, if it was you need, it's what you need. Time will pass. You'll be better than new soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pat. I know it's something I have and need to do and shouldn't complain as it could be so much worse . . . I'll get through it. In the meantime, I have a fabric storage area (shelves, etc.) that is just screaming for organization. At least by doing that, I can touch fabric!

    ReplyDelete