Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Wednesdays with Precuts

I have to admit that when the precut fabrics first started coming out, I thought that there were limited things one could do with them ~ boy-oh-boy ~ was I ever wrong!  This past year I have learned so many different techniques using precuts and thought it would be nice to share one technique with you every Wednesday.  Since most of the cutting is done for you ahead of time, you can whip up a project in no time at all.  Today, our precut technique is 'tube quilting' done with a jelly roll. 

One of my favorite quilt shops is the Missouri Star Quilt Company, http://www.missouriquiltco.com/ not only because of their famous 'Daily Deal' but also because they have many tutorials on how to use precuts.  The quilt I'm featuring today from the Missouri Star Quilt Company is called, 'Summer in the Park.'  You will be amazed at how easy these blocks are to make and how quickly they come together to make a pretty quilt.



When I first learned this technique I got to thinking that instead of using a square ruler to make the cuts, that it would be easier to use one of the specialty rulers that Nifty Notions or other companies offer.  For this quilt, the quarter-square-triangle (QST) ruler from Nifty Notions is perfect. 


Nifty Notions ~ Quarter Square Triangle Ruler
I think that using that by using the QST, your cuts will go a bit faster because you won't have to worry about lining up a 45-degree angle each time you make a cut.  I have my strips sewn together for this quilt and plan on using my QST ruler to make the cuts. 

Obviously using a jelly roll is the quickest way to make these blocks but you could also use fabrics from your stash and cut your own 2-1/2" strips.  I think this pattern makes a great stash buster, don't you?

Until next time . . .

Debbie

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I have sort of been collecting 2-1/2 strips and thought this would be fun. So I've sewn about 80 strips together. Wonder what size quilt(s) I will end up with....

    ReplyDelete